In the movies, superheroes rely on their special powers to overcome challenges and, in the end, save the day. Of course, we understand that the ability to fly, invisibility, and super-speed are purely fiction.
In the real world of industrial and durable printing, there is a certain product that seems to have an array of material superpowers. But in the case of Tyvek®, it comes down to scientific innovation, rather than science-fiction.
What is Tyvek®?
Made of high-density polyethylene, DuPont™ Tyvek® is a versatile and cost-effective material that has numerous benefits and applications. It’s a unique, non-woven material that, in Dupont’s words, “Feels like paper, but it’s not paper. Feels like fabric, but it’s not fabric.” Because of its unique properties, Tyvek® can be used in everything from building materials to protective attire to packaging and graphics. When it comes to printing on Tyvek®, you can select a paper-like hard structure and fabric-like soft structure.
Benefits of Printing on Tyvek®
- Durable – Tyvek® is extremely rugged, is resistant to tears, punctures, water, UV, and chemicals, and can be folded, stapled, glued, laminated, and more.
- Lightweight– The innovative material has an impressive strength-to-weight ratio. Being lightweight and flexible makes it very design friendly. For products that are worn, Tyvek® is breathable, non-bulky, and comfortable.
- Recyclable – Tyvek® is 100% recyclable, making it an environmentally friendly material choice.
- Outdoor-ready – Graphics printed on Tyvek® can withstand harsh outdoor environments without additional protective coatings. The material repels water and is resistant to rot, mildew, soiling, and staining. It’s also designed to withstand temperatures between -94°F to 244°F
- Printable – Tyvek® is compatible with most traditional and digital printing techniques, including offset, flexographic, screen, UV inkjet, thermal transfer, and more.
- Custom converting – To create the finished product, Tyvek® can be easily converted using a variety of methods, including embossing, laminating, perforating, punching, stitching, folding, gluing, embossing, and more.
- FDA-approved – Tyvek® is available in styles that are approved for food contact and sterile applications.
Typical Printed Applications of Tyvek®
Of all the attributes of Tyvek®, the most impressive one might be its versatility. The material can be printed on and used in a wide variety of applications.
- Tags and labels – Thanks to durability and minimal weight, Tyvek® is a great choice for tags, labels, banners, or other graphic applications that will be exposed to outdoor or harsh conditions.
- Industrial packaging – Designed to be rugged and resistant to water and chemicals, Tyvek® sheet makes for high-quality industrial packaging. The innovative material withstands transportation and severe handling, provides a long shelf life, and maintains appearance for longer than traditional packaging options.
- Sterile packaging– Tyvek® material has long been trusted by the medical and pharmaceutical industries. In addition to the properties mentioned earlier, the unit structure of the material provides exceptional microbial barrier protection. Furthermore, Tyvek® is compatible with most sterilization methods, including ethylene oxide (EO), radiation (Gamma and electron beam), steam under controlled conditions, and low-temperature oxidative.
Preferred Printer for Tyvek®
When using Tyvek® in your product, it’s important to partner with a printer who has experience working with this unique material. At Tapecon, we are proud to be a DuPont™ Graphics Preferred Printer. As a preferred printer, we offer exceptional printing and converting capabilities, technical expertise, and purchasing power for jobs utilizing Tyvek®.
Disclaimer: DuPont™ and Tyvek® are trademarks or registered trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.
Get Started with Tyvek® Printing
At Tapecon, we have over 100 years of experience helping customers solve their complex product challenges. Learn more about our durable printing and coating services.